Many Liberians that have been living in the United States for years are celebrating the fact that they now can apply for Green Cards that will put them on the path to US citizenship.
Zohar Law in New York City is an immigration attorney who helps immigrants, including Liberians, with their legal status here in the United States and aid them in the process of obtaining Green Cards and US citizenship. We are passionate about helping others who want to live here become citizens.
PATH TO US CITIZENSHIP FOR LIBERIANS
In a defense policy bill signed earlier this month by President Trump, Liberians who have been here for at least five years can now apply for a Green Card. Many Liberians came to the United States from 1989 to 2003 legally when their country was suffering under civil war. They were here under temporary protection, which was scheduled to expire in 2020. Over the years, there have been numerous allowances for Liberians to stay in the United States; however, all of these were temporary solutions with none being permanent. Allowing Liberians to apply for Green Cards is the first step to a permanent solution that has been sought for years. This is definitely a victory for those who have been here for years and have wanted a more permanent solution.
The Liberian Refugee Immigration Fairness (LRIF) Act that went into effect on December 20th, 2019 has certain conditions that must be met in order to be eligible for a Green Card, or permanent US residence:
- Must have been continuously physically present in the United States from Nov 20th, 2014 to the date they file their application
- Liberians only have one year to file these applications
- Applicants must meet all other conditions in order to be eligible to file
- Spouses, unmarried children under age 21, and unmarried sons and daughters age 21 or older of eligible Liberian nationals are also eligible for Green Cards
Ineligibility includes those how have:
- Been convicted of any aggravated felony
- Been convicted of two or more crimes involving moral turpitude (other than a purely political offense)
- Ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in the persecution of any person on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion.
HOW ZOHAR LAW IN NEW YORK CITY CAN HELP LIBERIANS OBTAIN GREEN CARDS
Zohar Law in New York City realizes this is exciting news for Liberians, and we are ready to assist in the application process. We specialize in helping immigrants obtain Green Cards. We can help with visas and deportation cases and special immigrant juveniles. We are a full-service immigration law firm, meaning that we handle all cases that are related to immigration, including Green Cards. We can help you through this lengthy and complicated process.
Our immigration attorneys in New York City speak four languages to better assist you, and we offer free consultations. Our top-notch immigration lawyers are passionate about helping you enjoy the full benefits of being in the United States and working towards citizenship. If you have any questions about immigration law, please don’t hesitate to call. Contact us today for help with your immigration case!